President Donald Trump can start demolition Ministry of Education The executive order was passed, but he needed Congressional approval to formally repeal the institution.
According to one White House Fact Sheet Previously reported by Fox News Digital.
If Trump signs such an order, the department is expected to be significantly reduced on Thursday. But the entire body cannot be completely repealed unless Congress passes legislation to resolve the law that establishes the department.
The Ministry of Education was established in 1979 and Congress passed the Education Organization Act signed by former President Jimmy Carter. Since then, Republicans, including former President Ronald Reagan, have spent decades calling for the demolition of the department to allow educational decisions to be determined at the state and local levels.
Education Leader Says Trump Dismantled Key Administration Agency “Save Education”

President Donald Trump raised a question at a press conference held in the White House Roosevelt Room in Washington, D.C. on January 21, 2025. (Andrew Hanik)
R-Ky. Rep. Thomas Massie reintroduced legislation in January to repeal the department, noting that “the Ministry of Education should terminate on December 31, 2026.”
To pass any legislation, Trump needs Congress approved Andrew Stoltmann, a lawyer and law professor, said the department was eliminated from Congress’s super contributions.
Stolman told Fox News that President Trump has no ability to eliminate federal departments. Cancellation of this would require Congressional action, including 60 votes in the Senate. “So it may be impossible that Trump can follow what he said, he must attract some Democrats in the Senate. ”

President Donald Trump will need Congressional approval to completely abolish the education sector. (Getty Image)
Jamie E., a political expert and founder of Wright Law Firm.
“To successfully pass such a bill into law will require the support of members of Congress so that the president’s agenda can smoothly promote the legislative process – an effort that may present obstacles if the Department of Education considers the critical allocation of legislators to ensure consistent national education norms and federal education initiatives,” Wright told Fox.
Trump has promised to shut down the department in his second term since his 2024 presidential campaign, attacking Education Secretary Linda McMahon to lead the agency quickly “removing himself from work.”
McMahon acknowledged at a confirmation hearing in February that the administration will need Congress’ approval to continue taking action to cancel the agency.
“Of course, President Trump knows we’re going to work with Congress,” McMahon told members of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Committee. “We want to do this. We want to make sure we come up with a plan that I think our senators can join and that our Congress can join, which will have a better education department, but it does require Congress action.”
The government has taken steps to rule the sector, from eliminating hundreds of millions of dollars in grant funds, fairness and funding in schools, almost cutting Half of the labor force.

Linda McMahon, Donald Trump’s education secretary draft pick, heard the Health, Education and Labor Commission on Thursday, February 13, 2025, in Washington, DC. (Jacquelyn Martin)
Education Department spokesman Savannah Newhouse previously told Fox News Digital that “President Trump’s goal is to reduce federal bureaucracy and return educational power to states because the dollar and decisions should be closest to students.”
The department currently oversees some funding, manages student loans, financial aid and implements non-discrimination policies in schools, while most education itself is processed at the state level.
“Despite misunderstandings, the Ministry of Education does not control the school curriculum, determines teachers’ salaries, who can qualify for student aid and how much they accept, run the school or serve as a primary source of funding for the school,” Newhouse added.
Click here to get the Fox News app
Fox News Digital contacted the Ministry of Education for further comments but received no immediate response.