Blog Post

Prmagazine > News > News > San Diego migrant shelter closes doors with numbers plummeting after Trump immigration crackdown: report
San Diego migrant shelter closes doors with numbers plummeting after Trump immigration crackdown: report

San Diego migrant shelter closes doors with numbers plummeting after Trump immigration crackdown: report

Join Fox News to access this content

You have reached the maximum number of articles. Log in or create an account for free to continue reading.

By entering an email and pushing for a continuation, you agree to Fox News terms of use and Privacy Policywhich includes ours Economic Incentive Notice.

Please enter a valid email address.

A big Immigration Shelter in San Diego Since President Donald Trump took office, the county has continued to see a sharp drop in asylum seekers, about to close its doors.

As of Monday, CBS8 News San Diego The Crowne Plaza hotel in Mission Valley is reportedly resuming its original purpose, no longer an immigration shelter.

The shelter is reportedly run by a Catholic charity. Fox News Digital contacted the organization for comment, but received no immediate response.

The latest immigration shelter closure comes after San Diego’s Jewish Family Services announced its closure of the center in February and laid off 115 employees due to “changes in federal funding and policy.”

Mayor Eric Adams says Roosevelt Hotel Immigration Shelter in New York City will be closed soon

Immigration shelter

Empty bed in immigration shelter. (Stephanie Bennett/Fox News)

“Jewish Family Services (JFS) in San Diego is working to meet the evolving needs of the community in response to recent and expected changes in federal policy,” the organization previously said. “With a deep commitment to the core values ​​of “Welcome Strangers,” JFS focuses its immigration efforts on providing unpaid legal services and community support resources.”

The shelter was operating as a regional immigration shelter in San Diego County for more than six years before closing.

The non-governmental organization (NGO) said it has not received new asylum-seeking families or individuals since the CBP One Phone App dropped on January 20.

Which application, Allow immigrants to be released on parole Entering the United States was created during the first Trump administration to assist in the arrangement of cargo inspections.

Immigration shelters in San Diego have been closed since Trump took office. More than 100 employees fired

San Diego Immigration Shelter Closed

An immigrant shelter in San Diego was closed after no new arrivals were received after the Trump administration terminated the CBP One app on inauguration day. (Fox 5 San Diego/Salvador Rivera/Border Report/hyoung Chang/Denver Post)

It was expanded in 2023 to allow immigrants to allow access to ports at ports, initially due to the exception to Title 42 Public Health Order. Since May, they have the potential to be parole to the United States as part of the Biden administration’s expansion of “legal avenues.”

US Border Patrol Report Immigration encounters Agents fell nearly 95% in February.

according to Los Angeles TimesArrests have ranged from more than 1,200 people a day from peak last April to 40 times a day.

“It would be an understatement to say that a huge change has occurred,” Jeffrey Stalnaker, acting patrol agent in the border San Diego field, told the newspaper.

President-elect Donald Trump waves

President Donald Trump has suppressed illegal immigration. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

By the end of December, more than 936,500 people had made appointments through the app under customs and border protection measures.

“With migrants no longer able to use the CBP One application, the San Diego Rapid Response Network (SDRRN) Migrant Shelter Services, operated by JFS, has not received new asylum-seeking families and individuals released from short-term federal custody into our care. Due to these changes in federal foundation and policy, the SDRRN Migrant Shelter Services will be paused until there is better understanding of future community needs,” the statement continued.

Denver cuts immigration services, shuts down four shelters so lowers budgets and saves millions of dollars

The organization received $22,077,365 Taxpayer-funded FEMA currency In the fiscal year 2024, although no funds were claimed, according to grant records on the FEMA website.

Immigrants sleep

Illegal immigrants camped in Denver Shelter. (Hyoung Chang/The Denver Post)

In February, New York City Mayor Eric Adams’ office announced that “there are fewer than 45,000 immigrants in the city’s care”, and a large immigration shelter in Manhattan was also closed in February.

His office said the number “has dropped 69,000 from January 2024, of the more than 232,000 people who have been seeking urban services in New York City since 2022.”

Adams’ office said the Roosevelt Hotel Shelter opened in May 2023 and “at the height of the international asylum seeker crisis, the city received an average of 4,000 people per week.”

It added: “The website provides a variety of support services for immigrants, including legal aid, health care and reconnection services, and provides humanitarian relief centers for families with children.” “The average number of registrants has dropped to about 350 per week in recent months. Going forward, these intake features and support services will now be integrated into other areas of the system.”

Click here to get the Fox News app

The converted site has about 1,000 rooms, and has been processed more than 173,000 immigrants According to a previous statement from the city, it has been opened in May 2023.

The city of Denver also shrank its immigration services in the same month, closing four immigration shelters and announced it would “merge shelters to save millions of dollars in cities.”

During the final weeks of Joe Biden’s presidency, about 400-500 new immigrants asked for city help every week, New York Post Report.

Fox News’s Bill Melguin, Lindsay Kornick and Greg Norman contributed to the report.

Stepheny Price is a writer at Fox News Digital and Fox Business. She covers topics including missing persons, homicides, state crime cases, illegal immigration and more. Story tips and ideas can be sent to stepheny.price@fox.com

Source link

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

star360feedback