President Donald Trump is giving Tiktok more time to sell its U.S. business, saying “tremendous progress has been made” and delayed the ban that will kick out on Saturday.
Truth Social Jobs on Friday afternoonTrump said despite this progress, the deal still requires more work, so he signed an executive order to give Tiktok 75 days to postpone the deadline until June 19. The move prevents the popular video app from turning black in less than a day.
Trump went on to say his administration will continue to work with China and attribute it to He signed the tariffs earlier this weekcalling them “the most powerful economic tools” and “very important” national security.
“We don’t want Tiktok to ‘become black’,” Trump said in his post. “We look forward to working with Tiktok and China to complete the deal.”
Tiktok and the Chinese government have long opposed the sale of the company’s U.S. operations, and it’s unclear whether their positions have changed. Tiktok did not immediately return emails seeking comments.
Read more: tiktok backup: 6 similar applications for your daily fun
China responded to Trump’s tariffs on Friday Escalate the trade war between the two countries and send stock markets around the world. The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 2,200 points, while the Nasdaq Comprehensive Comprehensive lost 5.8% in afternoon trading, the biggest drop in five years.
The delay in Tiktok ban is not surprising. Over the past few days, several potential bidders of Tiktok’s U.S. business have been well known for their interest, and Trump has been meeting with administration officials this week to discuss possible deals and ownership structures.
According to the latest report from the New York Times, one of the plans includes Private equity firm Blackstone and tech firm Oracleanother one involves Last minute from Amazon.
Lawmakers in both parties have long expressed concerns Tiktok could pose a threat to national security The Chinese government can use it to monitor Americans or spread false information to further the Chinese agenda. Tiktok continues to deny the allegations.
Last year Congress passed overwhelming bipartisan support and the law was signed by then-President Joe Biden. Freedom of speech and other groups prosecuted overturning the law on First Amendment grounds, but this is Upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in January.
So what’s next for Tiktok? This is what you need to know.
Watch the following: United States and Tiktok: What’s going to happen next
What does the law do?
The law aims to force Tiktok’s China-based parent company to sell Tiktok to U.S. officials and can guarantee that BONTEDANCE will no longer have access to U.S. user data or control over Tiktok’s algorithm.
Tiktok was given nine months of compliance, so the January 19 sales deadline was initially when the government might need to remove its apps from the U.S. app stores and other tech companies stopped supporting apps and websites.
Tiktok closed in the U.S. on the evening of January 18, citing the ban, but the next morning, Trump promised that he would not immediately enforce the ban. Trump later signed an execution order directing the attorney general not to enforce the ban for 75 days, effectively moving the deadline to April 5.
The new executive order postponed the deadline until June 19, the 16th of the federal holiday.
Read more: Tiktok likes to provide financial advice. But don’t believe everything you hear
What does Trump mean?
Trump initially called for a ban during his first presidency, during the 2024 campaign that he did not support one person and promised to “save Tiktok”, although he did not specify how he did it.
Trump told the news on Sunday That “has a great interest in Tiktok.” He added that he “wanted to see Tiktok still alive”. The president also said, “We have a lot of potential buyers” and his administration is “dealing with China” and has long opposed the sale.
On March 26, Trump said he Will consider reducing tariffs on Chinese goods If the government approves the sale of Tiktok’s US business. He also reiterated his willingness to postpone the deadline when needed.
Trump also proposed the idea that the U.S. took 50% of the company’s shares as part of the joint venture, but did not give specific information on how it works.
Tiktok CEO Shou Chew was one of several high-profile tech executives who attended Trump’s inauguration in January, just hours before Trump signed the order to grant a 75-day extension.
It was followed by a December press conference that Trump pointed out Tiktok’s role in the election to help him get votes from young people.
“Tictok has had an impact, so we’re studying it,” Trump said. “I have a warm place in my heart. Honestly.”