Blog Post

Prmagazine > News > News > Congo commutes 3 Americans’ death sentences following coup attempt
Congo commutes 3 Americans’ death sentences following coup attempt

Congo commutes 3 Americans’ death sentences following coup attempt

President of Congo Officials announced Wednesday that three Americans were convicted of death sentences for participating in a coup attempt.

Marcel Malanga, 21, and Tyler Thompson Jr, 21, reported by the Associated Press.

The pardon was due to the attempts of the Congolese authorities to deal with the United States in exchange for security support, which would help the country fight rebels in the eastern part of its conflict-hitted.

this State Council Fox News Digital’s request for comment was not immediately responded to Wednesday. State Department spokesman Tammy Bruce wrote on X yesterday that Africa-Senior Advisor Massad Boulos [the] Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda. ”

Flashback: 3 Americans in Congo sentenced to death after attempting a coup

Three Americans are detained in Congo

Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, left, center Marcel Malanga and Tyler Thompson Jr. (Reuters/Justin Makangara)

Six people were killed in May last year An outbreak of coup attempts, Led by opposition figure Christian Malanga, his targets are the presidential palace in Kinshasa and the close allies of Tshisekedi.

Congolese troops said Malanga was shot and killed shortly after live broadcasting the attack on social media.

Marcel Malanga, a U.S. citizen, told the court during the case that his father forced him and his high school friend Thompson Jr. to participate in the attack, according to the Associated Press.

Marcel Malanga reportedly said: “Dad threatened to kill us if we don’t follow his orders.”

African war-torn countries cite Trump’s mineral deal “Golden Age” in exchange for launching violent rebels

President of Congo

President Felix Tshisekedi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, has provided President Trump with a mineral deal in exchange for the evacuation of violent insurgents from his country. (Gate image)

Thompson Jr.

“We have seen a military court in the Democratic Republic of the Congo sentenced many defendants, including U.S. citizens, to death for alleged involvement in the May 19 attack on the government,” said Matthew Miller, a former State Department spokesman.

Marcel Malanga during the trial

Marcel Malanga told the court during the case that his father forced him and his high school friends to participate in the attack. (Reuters/Justin Makangara)

Click here to get the Fox News app

He added: “We are aware that legal proceedings in the Democratic Republic of the Congo allow defendants to appeal the court’s ruling. Embassy staff have been participating in these lawsuits… We will continue to participate in the lawsuits and pay close attention to the developments.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source link

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

star360feedback