Alliances in California and other states sued President Trump and his administration on Thursday, his recent executive order says Fundamentally reshape National voting rules, including requiring voters to provide proof of citizenship, say it is an illegal attempt by the White House to deprive the country of its power to rule the election.
“My attorney and I are bringing him to court because this executive order is nothing more than blatant illegal power and is trying to deprive voters of rights,” Atti, California. General Rob Bonta said in a statement. “There is no voting restrictions that the Constitution and Congress authorize the president. We will not be bullied by him. We will fight like hell in court to stop him.”
Ace – He falsely asserted that the 2020 presidential election was stolen by him – His order to preserve and protect the integrity of the U.S. elections was issued on March 25.
Several other groups, including well-known democratic groups and members of Congress and leading civil rights groups, filed lawsuits to block orders earlier this week. The White House refuted the misled challenge, accusing Democrats of proposing “common sense” election protection.
Trump’s order puts the U.S. voting system in other countries’ systems, lagging behind the system and calls for new national voting standards. It depends in part on Trump’s claims over the years – No evidence – In the U.S. election, fraud is rampant, and the votes of non-citizen immigrants are a major issue.
If the court upheld the order, the order would require all voters in the United States to show evidence of U.S. citizenship (such as a passport or real ID) before they could vote in any federal election. Trump claims that such a request will help eliminate fraudulent votes from non-citizens.
Voting rights advocates say the requirement will deprive many U.S. citizens who have the right to vote but do not have easy-to-use rights to deprive legal rights. Critics of Trump’s policy also pointed out that non-citizen votes are extremely rare and are already illegal in federal elections.
Trump’s order also requires states to ignore mail ballots not received on Election Day. Some states currently have different rules, including California, and if so, votes are accepted Mailed by Election Day And received within a certain day.
Critics criticizing California rules see it as part of the country It took a long time to calculate the votes And report the results. California officials noted that the state has tens of millions of voters and said the delay was due to its diligence to ensure that every effective vote depends on it.
Trump’s orders will also undermine the political contribution of foreign nationals, a problem Being criticized by Republicans Swiss billionaire Hansjörg Wyss, who lives in Wyoming, is frustrated by the major donations from the liberal cause.
California filed a lawsuit, challenging Trump’s order to file a lawsuit with 18 other states in the federal court in Massachusetts. Bonta’s office called the order “unconstitutional, anti-democratic and African-American” and said it would lead to “imminent and irreparable harm” in California and other states.
“It stressed that the president has no right to do so,” the lawsuit states.
Bonta said the order had more evidence that Trump was “completely disdainful of the rule of law.”
“Let me remind him: he is not the king,” Bonta said. “When he took office, he vowed to ‘preserve, protect and defend the American Constitution’. He also had a constitutional obligation to “be careful to enforce the law faithfully”, which did not involve rewriting them, but he thought it was appropriate.”
California Secretary of State Shirley Weber is the state’s top election official, saying Trump’s order “illegally tramples on the constitutional authority of states and Congress in elections.”
“Throughout history, people have tried to make voting more difficult through oppressive means such as polls, literacy tests, misrolling voters, strategic voting locations and voter intimidation strategies,” Webber said in a statement released Thursday. “The progress this country has made over the past 60 years cannot be minimized and should not be deleted.”
The Constitution broadly states that it determines the “time, place and method” of elections. It also gives Congress the power to “form or change” the regulations for federal elections. However, this does not articulate any role of the president.
Republicans accused President Beden of going beyond those boundaries when he enforces executive orders directing federal agencies to promote voting visits in 2021 – Trump has since revoked it. Since then, Democrats and other voting rights advocates have accused Trump of going beyond the same scope for his orders.
Several other groups have also sued Trump for orders.
Democratic National Committee Speak together on weekdaysincluding Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (DN.Y.) and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (DN.Y.) and various other Democratic organizations.
Voting and civil rights groups filed two separate lawsuits. The main groups behind one of the main groups – including the Women Voters League, the NAACP and the American Civil Liberties Union – believe that the president “has no constitutional or statutory power to unilaterally decide on elections” and that Trump’s order “is a blatant violation of the separation of power.”
The groups also accused Trump of spreading “false and racialized narratives” and posed an “unnecessary barrier to voter registration”, which they said could “deprive millions of qualified voters of legitimate voters, especially those of color, female voters, naturalized citizens, disabled voters, disabled voters, low-income voters, and first-time voters, and first-time voters.”
The Democrats “continue to show contempt for the Constitution, which continues to show their crazy opposition to the president’s common sense of executive action, demanding evidence of U.S. citizenship to protect the integrity of U.S. elections,” White House President Deputy Press Secretary Harrison Fields said in a statement.
In addition to denying that he lost the 2020 presidential election, Trump has been charged with crimes in pursuit of rule and pardoned supporters of violent supporters who attacked the U.S. Capitol in 2021 to subvert these election results.
Thursday’s lawsuit is the tenth lawsuit filed by California against the Trump administration since Trump took office in January. It’s against Trump, we atty put forward. General Pam Bondi, the U.S. Election Aid Commission and other Trump administration officials.
Bonta leads the effort with Atty, Nevada. General Aaron Ford said, his office said. Other states joining the lawsuit are Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Vermont and Wisconsin.
Andrea Castillo, an era worker, contributed to the report.